Whether you want to live in a little log home on the prairie, or you just want to bring a little bit of the 1800s into your home, rustic home furnishings are the way to go. Not only are they timeless, they are also comfortable and beautiful. Here are a few interesting facts that you should know before you begin your rustic cedar log furniture shopping.
1. In spite of the fact that the log cabins that are built today are built specifically for comfort and luxury, the design was originally meant to display the hardships of the Northern American Frontier in the 1800s. What has evolved into a host of rustic living room furniture sets, originated because logs were one of the very few building materials available at the time.
2. Did you know that the original design of the log cabin did not contain one single nail? The original cabins were constructed by joining jointed logs together in a criss cross pattern and then using clay or mud to seal up any gaps. They have come a long way since then.
3. Present day manufacturers of rustic furniture and log furniture sometimes also dabble in other areas of design. They also craft architectural details such as bridges, porches, banisters, stairs, chandeliers and complete works of rustic architecture.
4. Did you know that seven different United States Presidents were born in log cabins? Keep in mind that this was long before the popularity of rustic home furnishings.
5. The popular toy made for children called Lincoln Logs were invented by the son of famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright. More can be found here: www.logfurnitureplace.com